Thursday, October 4, 2007

Vacation!

Gavin has become quite a seasoned traveler. He's been to Chicago three times, Hawaii once, and this was trip number three to Florida. What made this trip different is that it's the first since Gavin has started walking and stopped breastfeeding. I was so mad at myself for forgetting to bring my camera on this trip! But, thanks to Gramma, we did get some photos.

There was so much to explore that I think Gavin would have been happy to stay at the hotel all day. His favorite word right now is "hi" - really, he says "hi" at least a hundred times a day - so he had a great time meeting all the staff and especially the birds in the lobby. Gavin learned his way around quickly, and each time we went to the main lobby, coming or going, he'd run right over to Lu Lu, the green macaw, to say hi. Lu Lu would lift her foot and wave back to him, which he loved. At first, I thought it was a coincidence, but every time Gavin waved, she waved back!

Merlot, the scarlet macaw, was not quite as friendly as Lu Lu, but Gavin enjoyed looking at him just as much.

Gavin paused for one picture with Grandpa before wiggling down to go see the birds.

Gavin also learned his way to the Regency Club room right away. He'd take off from our room, make all the correct turns and find the "special room" with the ladies who gave him milk and snacks, and the big fish tanks. He'd go back from one tank to the other saying "hi" to each individual fish, and then start over again. I guess I haven't been giving him enough credit - he knew exactly what he was doing!

We took Gavin the hotel pool, but in his opinion, 85 deg water was still too cold for swimming! Although he didn't like the pool, he had a great time running around with his beach ball. He even made a few friends - it was really cute to see all the little ones chasing the ball, and I was so proud of him for sharing and playing nice! He stopped the game, though, when a pretty 14 month old in pigtails came by, and he had to give her a hug - that's one I wish I had caught on film!


Also at the hotel, we took a surrey ride. I've seen these several times before and they looked so easy! When I've seen people struggle on a little hill, I always thought that it's because they're overweight and must be out of shape...boy, was I wrong! Chuck and I peddled with Gramma and Gavin in the back, and it was hard work. So much so, that we stopped on the way back and walked around the nature trails, just to get a brake from peddling. It was a little more relaxing for Gavin and Gramma. Here they are enjoying their ride.


EPCOT Center was another highlight of the trip for Gavin. He had an especially good time at Innoventions, where he danced to the music, ran around on a sparkly street, and played with the fire truck controls.




Possibly his favorite part of the trip was lunch at the Moroccan restaurant. He was dancing in the highchair, so I put him on the floor, and he went right up on stage with the belly dancer!



By the end of the day, he was all tired out!



The toughest part of the trip was that Gavin was so excited he wouldn't nap. He was exhausted by noon every day and just keep going. He also wasn't going to have any part of the hotel crib. He didn't have any trouble settling in to the big bed most nights, but it just wasn't enough sleep, and the first day we arrived home he went to bed at 4pm...and slept until 6 the next morning! Fortunately, he got right back to his old routine the next day.


Thanks Gramma and Grandpa for a wonderful visit!











2 comments:

Nicole said...

Looks like fun! I can't believe how fast Gavin is growing up. He has lost all his "baby" looks and looks like a little boy now!!

Amy said...

What a fun trip! I can't imagine forgetting my camera. . . good thing your Mom came through for you, cause you did manage to get some cute pics of the trip!