Gavin couldn't have been more excited, and with his usual, "I do it self" mentality, he handed the gate agent his ticket and went charging down the jet way, waving and yelling "adios, adios!" Definitely, the highlight of his trip was the transportation. Taxi cabs, metro, the hotel shuttle...all very exciting. And to top it off - the escalators!
When we arrived at our room, he immediately announced that it was our new "house," and he started looking for things to climb.


Jumping ahead to Sunday, here are a few race photos - courtesy of Marathonfoto, as Chuck and Gavin slept through most of the race.
The weather was perfect, I arrived at the start line completely healthy and injury free, and between the fall colors and many of our nation's greatest monuments the course was absolutely beautiful. I could not have asked for a better experience. I finished in 4:19:27, which was a little disappointing - my "A" goal was sub-4. I don't really know why (this never happend in training), but I started struggling with cramps/stomach issues early on and it never totally went away. It's not that I am disappointed in my time, because it was definitely the best I could do that day, but more that I was disappointed that I felt uncomfortable and didn't enjoy it more. It was a great race, though, and definitely one I'd consider doing again.


So, we aquired a new addition to our family on this trip... We stopped in a toy store in Old Town Alexandria and Gavin selected this monster from Where the Wild Things Are. I asked him what he wanted to name the monster, and he replied "Monster Hardt." That night, Gavin made Monster his own bed, gave him a hug and kiss "night-night" and tucked him in. Here they are sleeping together:





1 comment:
Congratulations, Melanie! Sorry I'm so late in posting this. . . but I'm so proud of your accomplishment. That big smile on your face with your medal says it all! Way to go!
Post a Comment